Re: Suitable host to (cross-)build NetBSD?

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011, Thomas Mueller wrote:
What kind of host can be used to build the NetBSD source code?

Could I use FreeBSD 9.0_BETA-1, or Linux?

You should be able to use the build.sh script to cross-build NetBSD from almost any unix-like system. See src/BUILDING for instructions. It could be as simple as:

  * obtain a copy of the NetBSD "src" tree;
  * cd src;
  * sh ./build.sh -m i386 -O ./obj -U release

I've been having great trouble installing NetBSD on my new Intel Sandy Bridge hardware and getting it to boot.

Support for modern display adapters is poor, and sysinst support for GPT disks is not yet written. You can sometimes work around the display driver problem by making X use the vesa driver, and you can probably work around the sysinst problems if you try hard enough (for example, suspend sysinst using ^Z and manually do some stuff before letting sysinst continue, or just install without using sysinst).

--apb (Alan Barrett)