Re: HEADS UP: certain apps broken between 2008/08/25 and 2008/08/27

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 23:42:33 -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 11:39:44AM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
>
> > In the specific case of usr.sbin/ntp/*, this meant that usr.sbin/bind 's
> > /usr/lib/libisc*.a was used in preference to usr.sbin/ntp/libisc/libisc.a,
> > and due to minor ABI differences, caused a run-time failure.
> >
> > Kudos to Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe%NetBSD.org@localhost> for highlighting
> > the problem to me, and also for identifying the ABI mismatch
> > between the installed usr.sbin/bind/libisc and the "private"
> > usr.sbin/ntp/libisc
>
> Can we cause them to have the same ABI?  It would be nice to lose the
> second copy of libisc even if we have to whack at one of them to do it
> (yes, I'm voluntering to do the whacking if someone describes it to me
> in sufficient detail).

I don't think it's worthwhile.  The copy in ntp is quite small
compared to the one in bind.

The difference that causes problems is that bind's copy has an extra
sockaddr_un in the union and so zeroing out a smaller structure used
by ntp smashes the stack (yay, stack protector!)

bind's copy is also thread-aware, at least when I tried to link it
into ntpdate statically it required adding -lpthread.

SY, Uwe
--
uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost                       |       Zu Grunde kommen
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/          |       Ist zu Grunde gehen