Subject: Re: ntpdate hangs on 4.99.33
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/16/2007 10:06:40
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> Ntpdate does a gob of host lookups when it starts, even if you specify
> only one host on the command line, because if it can't resolve that,
> it tries a bunch of poolx.ntp.org host lookups.

If it does that, it's terribly broken.  ntpdate should do what it's
told, not guess that you mean something different.  Fortunately, I can
find no evidence that ntpdate (or anything else under src/dist/ntp, or
/etc/rc.d/ntpdate) contains any hardcoded references to pool.ntp.org.

Perhaps you were confused by the fact that the example /etc/ntp.conf
file contains references to pool.ntp.org?

--apb (Alan Barrett)