Subject: Grub & more than one disk
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Frank Kardel <kardel@acm.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/04/2005 09:04:42
Hi *,

this weekend I attempted to set up XEN2,
unfortunately I did have some hickups with
Grub. I have 6 IDE disks and my current
system disk is wd3. While grub-install will
happyly install grub, the boot fails after
muttering:
GRUB loading stage2 (or similar)
press any key to continue

Unfortunately pressing any ANY 8-) key doesn't work
here. So I had to revert back to the standard
boot procedure... (and postpone testing XEN2).

Another attempt at installing grub on a floppy wasn't sucessful either.
Problems encountered were:
  division by zero in grub in stage2/disk_io.c in rawwrite due to
  geometry sectors/track being 0. This was when attempting
  to write onto an msdos formatted floppy.
  Endless loops reading from floppy when attempting to
  write onto a ffsv1 formattetd floppy.
  The problems seem to stem from the geometries returned
  by the disk driver (sectory/track often 0, total_sectors being
  a very high number).

BTW alls tests where done with -current 3.99.3 from saturday.

Has anybody a clue how to set up grub in this environment ?

Frank