Subject: Re: ***?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/2002 00:45:03
On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 07:17:10PM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
> So, system accounts that have no password use '*'.  Some pkgsrc accounts use
> '*************'.
>
> Why?
>
> '*' is correct and unambiguous.  What's this with the 13 *'s?  I've also seen
> other admins copying this in new accounts.  Argh!

This is a new thing, or at least, it never used to happen on any of
my systems.  I don't know the exact date this changed, but I know my
1.4.x systems didn't do it, and I don't believe my first few 1.5.x
systems did either.

It's annoying, and I don't see the point of it.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com