Subject: Splitting / and /usr
To: None <kre@munnari.oz.au>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@ftp.netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/2000 01:31:41
Robert,

[Off topic warning]

>  | Did you not know that /usr was split off only because the disks were too
>  | small to keep everything on one way back in the early days
>
> That's how I heard it too - but this split must have occurred way back
> very early in the days before anyone outside Bell Labs had ever heard of
> unix (as I remember it, even the CACM paper had /usr in it).

I believe that the topic of splitting / and /usr was discussed
at the Glasgow University meeting of the UKUUG, which was around
1978, if my memory serves me well. As the first copy of V5 and V6
came out of the labs in the 1975/1976 timeframe, I suspect it came
later. I don't have my copy of the CACM paper to hand, so I can't
check dates.

Whilst I attented the University there at that time, I didn't attend
the conference - more fool me.

I suspect that Alistair Kilgour or Zdravko Podolski could provide
more information, or any of the Bell Labs alumni who were there.

agc