Subject: Re: Megaherz Ethernet/Modem combo cards
To: Ken Nakata <nakata@sequent.com>
From: Paul B Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/07/1999 22:53:29
On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Ken Nakata wrote:

> Just another data point:
>
> I've got a 3COM 3CXEM556B International.  When I insert this thing to
> my SS3010, I get:
>
> 5V card
> ep0 at pcmcia1 function 05V card
> : 3Com/Megahertz 3CXEM556-INT Ethernet/Modem
> ep0: address 00:00:86:36:7a:90, 8KB byte-wide FIFO, 5:3 Rx:Tx split
> ep0: 10baseT, 10base5, 10base2 (default 10base2)
> com3 at pcmcia1 function 15V card
> : serial device
> com3: ns16550a, working fifo
>
> but it doesn't seem to work.  'ifconfig ep0 anything' hungs the
> system.  Rock solid.
>
> uname -a:
>
> NetBSD photon 1.4K NetBSD 1.4K (PHOTON.CBv6) #0: Tue Sep  7 14:04:27 JST 1999     kenn@photon:/photon/s/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/PHOTON.CBv6 i386
>
> It says September, but the source was supped in early August.  This
> kernel is compiled with Hayakawa-san's latest CardBus patches.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ken

And I've got another.  My -current box is a Gateway Solos 9300LS with a
3CXEM556B.  The Cardbus patches are *NOT* installed.  I see ep0 and com2
probed on the card just fine.  But when I ifconfig ep0, it acts as
a write-only medium.

With the help of another NetBSD machines and tcpdump, I verified that the
laptop is sending out arp requests when I start a ping, but it's never
hearing the arp responses that are being returned to it (arp -a never
says anything other than "imcomplete").  Also, if I run tcpdump on the
laptop, I never see any traffic on the busy network.

I've never had my machine hang.  I'd suspect the Cardbus patches since
I'm not running them.

I'm going to take apart the Linux and FreeBSD drivers tomorrow in an
attempt to fix this.  However, if some else has any ideas, I'm willing
to test out patches.

Paul
--
Paul Dokas                                            dokas@cs.umn.edu
Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."