Subject: Stoopid question.
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ask Dr. Stupid <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/1999 12:31:27
Is there a way to tell sup NOT to clobber a file, most especially a .dist
file (used by mtree)?  I have certain modes I set locally and I'm getting
a bit tired of having to replace the mtree files every day after the sup
completes.

And, FWIW, I still think it's really silly not to have the cat* directories
world-writable/sticky.  I know the concerns about "but then someone else
could fill up the disk", but for man not to be able to regenerate cat-able
man pages on the fly is ludicrous.  I tried using setgid man, and that works
for man but fails for tkman (wish doesn't like referencing /dev/fd3, ap-
parently, because it only displays a blank square -- I might need a C
front-end for it :(  ).

The two statements above are related because every time I do an install
on my machine from .../pkgsrc, my man/cat* directories for /usr/local and
/usr/X11 get set back to 755 from 1777!

Having to replace the .dist files (which I'm currently doing) is a pain.

Oh, speaking of man->cat translations, has anyone else even given an ounce
of thought to enabling man to do this, thereby giving us a cache of recently-
used man pages?  I have some (admittedly lame) scripts which take care of
the man->cat bit, and I've modified /etc/weekly to go and clean out the
formatted pages which haven't been used in more than four days.

				--*greywolf;
--
Mankind should spend much more effort on education, escalating their levels of
intellect to those currently enjoyed by the upper minority, rather than forcing