Subject: Re: aix7xxx problems with negotiating "Ultra" speeds....
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1998 02:28:05
[ On Mon, December 7, 1998 at 23:03:07 (+0100), Guenther Grau wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: aix7xxx problems with negotiating "Ultra" speeds....
>
> >               -------Sequential Output-------- ---Sequential Input-- --Random--
> >               -Per Char- --Block--- -Rewrite-- -Per Char- --Block--- --Seeks---
> > Machine    MB K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU  /sec %CPU
> > proven    100  4017 24.9  3988  9.5  2293  5.9  8197 53.5  9151 12.8  94.8  2.0
>
> What are the benchmarks like under FreeBSD?

Unfortunately I don't currently have enough resources to actually
install enough of FreeBSD-3.0 on this system and run any tests.  (Not to
mention that there seems to be something wrong with the copy of the
3.0-RELEASE fixit floppy I got to the extent that I couldn't even ftp
the dmesg output off of the system).

I was hoping FreeBSD would recognize the partition table and allow me
to mount the NetBSD filesystems, even read-only, but this most
definitely did not work.....

> Do we want CAM in NetBSD???

CAM *must* eventually get into NetBSD if NetBSD is to keep current with
SCSI standards.  Whether or not the FreeBSD implementation is integrated
is a separate and subordinate question.

> Not me, but why has the machine on 64 MB RAM. This looks like it might
> become a bottleneck sooner than hd-preformance :-)

Well, yes, but for now as a headless single-user development server it
should server quite fine.  My primary Sparc-2 server has only 64MB RAM
too!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods