Subject: Re: ustarfs boot floppies
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de, tls@panix.com>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/21/1998 16:27:04
> From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@panix.com>
> :::
> DO NOT create NetBSD distribution or boot images with GNU tar.  As I rather
> rudely discovered a few days ago, though GNU tar can correctly *extract*
> device nodes with our new "wide" format, it totally screws up when creating
> a tar file with them in it.
>
> Sigh.
>
> Use pax -w.

It doesn't matter. All the details are still in the ramdisk ffs. (Ustarfs
is libsa-only, the kernel doesn't grok it.)

The only thing in the ustarfs part is an optional meta-file for volume info,
the secondary boot program, and the /netbsd with the real stuff in the
embedded ramdisk root.

(That's why ustarfs saves space even if you don't use the multi-volume feature
that was the main reason for writing it: it avoids having a wrapper-ffs,
with all its start-up overhead, just to hold /boot and /netbsd.)

  --Ross Harvey