Subject: Re: panic "malloc: out of space in kmem_map" with UVM
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa <jam@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/16/1998 02:51:11
   On May 16, 16:07, Ken Nakata wrote:
   > Subject: Re: panic "malloc: out of space in kmem_map" with UVM
   >
   > Did you try increasing NKMEMCLUSTERS?  If that doesn't help, maybe
   > this is related to the uvm_amap.c fix Chuck Cranor committed a couple
   > days ago.

Oops, I forgot completely that you sent same mails in this
mailing list.  I'm sorry to send my panic report without
carefully checking.

When I read your mail about the same panic 10 days ago, I
misunderstood that it was a trouble not depend on the UVM.
Since the UVM doesn't use NKMEMCLUSTERS and my system
without UVM works fine.  But it looks like a trouble related
to the UVM like you said that Scott Reynolds told you UVM
does malloc() more than the old Mach VM.  Thank you for your
reminder.

Currently, I'm building new kernel by using following
options in my configuration file.  I hope to add some
comments about the NKMEMCLUSTERS in the GENERIC file in
future.

options 	UVM		# Use UVM instead of Mach VM.
options 	PMAP_NEW	# new pmap interface; requires UVM
options 	UVMHIST		# Trace history of UVM
options 	NKMEMCLUSTERS="(2 * 6 * 1024 * 1024 / CLBYTES)"

-- Kazushi
Rune's Rule:
	If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.