Subject: Re: tangent: bounce buffers.
To: der Mouse <mouse@holo.rodents.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/1996 09:38:32
On Thu, 19 Sep 1996 07:06:22 -0400
 der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> wrote:

 > Perhaps it's just that I never, ever, write to the supped source tree
 > with anything but sup - I make a copy of it before applying patches or
 > attempting builds.  Never considered doing otherwise.

I basically agree with the rodent, here, except...

...the best way to do this, typically, is to sup, and import that into your
own CVS repository.  A group where I work is currently doing this,
maintaining *significant* local changes to the networking code.

IMO, "anoncvs" would be good for looking at diffs, changelogs, and a
potentially more efficient way of updating the local copy of sources...
And, in fact, I've been working with other members of Core to make this
possible for NetBSD, specifically for these reasons.

However, if someone's going to be making changes to their OS, they really
ought to keep those changes under revision control (this is simply Good
Software Engineering Principle #3, or whatever; it's near the top,
anyway...).

In other words, "anoncvs" is not an excuse to ignore proper source code
control, and as a matter of principle, I could never encourage anyone to
use it to "easily maintain local changes".

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --