Subject: Re: zip drive problem
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Don Lewis <gdonl@gv.ssi1.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/1996 23:55:28
On Feb 5,  9:48am, proprietor - Foo Bar And Grill wrote:
} Actually, since "Megabyte" means 2^20 when it comes to physmem (you don't
} see arrays of exactly 1,000,000 bytes/arrays of 8 bits (+1 for parity) on
} chips), and the people who _use_ the disk drives are typically the same
} people who use memory (SIMMs or what have you), it's perfectly reasonable
} that we should probably nudge them a little bit to go by binary millions
} of bytes rather than decimal millions.  It would make things a lot easier
} to deal with, and the disk drive companies wouldn't receive threatening
} phone calls from irate customers :-).
}
} #define AUTHOR "jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com ("John F. Woods")"
}
} /*
}  * So, you're going to stand up in front of 12 people chosen from the population
}  * at large and inform them that "million" means 1,048,576 instead of 1,000,000?

I can hardly wait for SIMM makers to start advertising 4Mx9 SIMMs holding
4.7 MB.

			---  Truck