Subject: Re: fastboot?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 11/10/1995 10:58:25
> We have the "clean" bit for fsck in NetBSD for quite some time now.

Yeah.  But last I knew, it still wasn't trustworthy.

> I wonder why we are still keeping the "fastboot" and "fasthalt"
> scripts?

Probably for people like me, who have this funny idea that the machine
should damn well do what I tell it to, not try to second-guess my
intentions.

> IMHO they are not needed anymore as the disks are not checked when
> they are clean and they SHOULD be checked in every case when they are
> not clean.

This isn't really true.  The disks are (by default) not checked when
they are _marked_ clean; this is not quite what you said.  I relatively
often find that a filesystem, marked non-clean, is in fact clean, and
less often but still not infrequently find that a filesystem marked
clean is in fact not clean.  And even when a filesystem is marked
clean, I usually want to check it anyway.

If the clean bits were fully reliable, I might agree, but even then, I
probably would keep them around for myself, even if it meant adding the
/fastboot code back into /etc/rc.

If the NetBSD clean flag were more like what I've had described to me
under some DEC systems, where a filesystem will be cbecked every so
often even when marked clean, I might relent...("so often" being
passage of time, mount count, operation count, whatever, and must be
tunable per-filesystem).

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu