Subject: Re: What about old talk protocol?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/1995 19:36:50
> You don't even need to "guess" byte order.  Try doing "rup" from a
> big-endian host to a little-endian host.  If the byte orders are
> different, you'll get "RPC: Can't decode result".

If so, that indicates at least one of the XDR implementations in
question is _severely_ broken.  (Or else the code calling it is somehow
managing to sneak a byte-sex dependency past XDR; without reading the
code I couldn't say.)  XDR is _supposed_ to hide all byte-sex issues
(and many others besides, such as float representation).  It almost
manages it, too, certainly well enough for all really common machines.

> At least this was the case with Suns talking to a VAX running BSD
> More/4.3 from Mt. Xinu (remember them?).

mtXinu?  Oh yeah.  We had a VAX-11/750 running 4.3+NFS from them, way
back when.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu