Subject: Re: Wher do binary packages go.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@ksu.ksu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/15/1995 18:52:46
Verily did Kevin Sullivan write:
> Jesus M. Gonzalez (jgb@ordago.uc3m.es) wrote:

> : 4. This can be completed with some automatization tools. Currently, we are
>       experimenting with pkg_tools and amd to help in this direction.

> I do this with "depot" from CMU; it makes/removes/maintains the links
> automatically.  Very nice.  The latest version is on ftp.andrew.cmu.edu.

> I actually use almost the same method you do, except that since many of
> my machines are connected by 14.4K lines NFS mounting is not very
> practical.  Instead I use sup to update machines from a central server.

I've never used depot, but listening to conversations about it didn't
sound too healthy.

Steve Davis (fellow K-Stater) has written a perl script called "installit"
which performs many similiar tasks as depot without using databases.

If you're interested in using installit instead of depot, check out
http://www.ksu.edu/~strat/ (his home page).

If you like it, drop him a line (be short and mellow).  :>

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@ksu.ksu.edu      Life: Rob@Manhattan.Kansas.USA.Earth

"Life's a journey, not a destination."  -- Aerosmith (1993), 'Amazing'