Subject: Re: Detecting Sniffing?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/13/1995 13:11:10
Don't feel bad - I was so certain that it would work that I almost
sent a message to the list about it too (actually, I *did* suggest it
on Firewalls).  But then I thought of an easy way to test it - put a
host in promiscuous mode by running tcpdump, and then hack the arp
table on a different host to give the wrong MAC address for the
promiscuous host and try pinging it.   It didn't respond, and I was
puzzled as to why - it seemed obvious that it would work.

So as a result of your message, I now know why it didn't work.   I'm
certain I'll sleep better tonight... :')

			       _MelloN_
--
Ted Lemon							 mellon@vix.com
+1 415 477 5045

Fight to preserve your freedom to program: Join the League for
Programming Freedom!   For info, contact lpf@uunet.uu.net.