Subject: Re: Source code tarballs with binary snapshots
To: John F. Woods <jfw@ksr.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/11/1994 15:48:34
> Well, if binary snapshots always came from the weekend source tarball, then
> the same source snapshot would do for all the binary snapshots.

Except that a binary snapshot for each architecture isn't made
every week -- so even if they were "weekend aligned", you'd still
need several weekends of source snapshots.  (As for the thought
of including diffs from the previous source tarball in the snapshot:
(1) not too easy, (2) then you _still_ need several of weekends-
worth of source tarballs around...)

> But I was under the impression that, handy though they are, the occasional
> binary snapshots weren't an official goal, so I don't see any justification
> for a lot of fuss.

Quite right.  The point is to kick out something that 'random people'
can install occasionally.  It's _not_ meant to supplant sup or
the weekly tar-balls, for normal use.

It's not a "supported service," and it was stated a while ago
that the binary snapshots have no direct relation to the source
tarballs -- in general, the tarballs from the following weekend
are "safe" to use with a snapshot but that's not guaranteed.
I'm not concerned at all that they don't match up with
the source tarballs.

chris