Subject: Re: SCSI questions
To: None <michaelv@iastate.edu>
From: Mark P. Gooderum <mark@aggregate.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/16/1994 14:49:28
>Well, the stubs are there, the code has just never been written to do
> the actual dance.  There is a performance hit for doing it this way,
> however, since you're doing a lot more copying for each disk transfer.
> An EISA board will just plain be faster in this scenario.
>
> I know it isn't a high priority -- any idea on when bounce buffers
> might make the list?
>
> 				--Michael

Silly question...

Wouldn't it be easier to write an allocator that just returns memory within
the first 16M...the DMA bufs already have to be contiguous and locked in
RAM...so it couldn't be too hard to look for a mem chunk in the first 16M
and failing that reclaim pages until it did?

You already have to have some way to get memory in the first 16M anyway
so the first buffer of the bounce works, why not just make sure that the
inital allocation gets the buffer that will work all the way through?

This asked by a total non-expert in the details of the whole thing...

-Mark

Cc: current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu