Subject: Re: wd woes
To: Theo Deraadt <deraadt@fsa.ca>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/27/1993 23:46:12
>>Have you applied the patch that's been posted here several times?
>>Please apply this and see if it fixes your problem.
>>
>>Why hasn't this shown up in current yet?  This patch *needs* to be in
>>current.  I can testify to its worthiness.

>actually, i think the patch is a crock. it does not solve the problem,
>it only hides it.

>oh, and it has been tried by other people. as said, it does NOT solve
>the problem!

>in fact, there are three wd bugs. this `fakes out' only one of them.

>the patch is also exceedingly ugly.

>sigh. i'm in a bad mood.

Well, all these things may be true, but it's also true that my box
used to lock up regularly stuck on some IDE hard drive access, and
since building a kernel with this patch, it no longer does so.  This
makes my NetBSD box exceedingly more useful.  These are the results.

Now, it may also be true that this just band-aids over the symptoms.
But, at least it does that much.  We've had this crappy WD hard drive
code for so long and yet nobody has been able to truly fix it.  Until
someone is able to do so, at least this patch lets be beat my machine
without having it lock up and requiring me to drive to campus in the
middle of the night and reboot it so I can finish a compile.

If this patch is so ugly, *please*, someone write something better.
Until then, I at least desire my box to be useable.

				--Michael

    Michael L. VanLoon  --  michaelv@iastate.edu  --  gg.mlv@isumvs.bitnet
 Iowa State University of Science and Technology -- The way cool place to be!
   Project Vincent Systems Staff, Iowa State University Computation Center