Subject: Re: Replacing kf_8x8.c
To: None <amiga-dev@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 07/10/1995 15:20:27
> > > Has anyone given any thought to updating the default 8x8 (kf_8x8.c)
> > > font?  One good reason to switch is that the lower case L "l" and the
> > > pipe character "|" are identical.  Before I updated my kernel, this
> > > caused me quite a few problems.
> >
> > I haven't ever had problems with it and I like this font a lot so...
> > At most I would be willing to change the 'l' to be less like the
> > '|' character (perhaps adding a tail.)
>
> Perhaps this could be an option, as there are some that seem to prefer
> the pearl font.

It is already an option, more or less, with the fontdump program.  The
problem is that new users (and some older ones) don't know about
fontdump, or they can't build their own kernels.  Either way, they are
stuck with a substandard font.

Actually, I have dumped Pearl.font in favor of System2.font on my
system.  System2.font might be an update to the current System.font, used
on NetBSD/amiga.  I wasn't able to find an Aminet archive with
System2.font in it, but I know that it freely available somewhere.

Either Pearl or System2 fonts would make excellent NetBSD/amiga fonts,
and an improvement over the currently implemented font.

---
Jeff Thieleke
thieleke@icaen.uiowa.edu
http://www.icaen.uiowa.edu/~thieleke