Subject: Re: gcc
To: None <chopps@water.emich.edu>
From: Marc Duponcheel <mduponch@cisco.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 02/17/1995 11:55:03
Hello Chris,

> Look I see someone "*really* regreting" dependencies of the NetBSD source
> on the compiler ditributed with NetBSD.  What *EXACTLY* is the problem?

That someone was me ... thanks for the reaction.

> We distribute a compiler with the sources for NetBSD that works.  There
> is *ZERO* need to use another compiler.  No vendor of OS's I have heard
> of guarentees that their kernel sources etcc will compile with anything
> but the shipped compiler.
>
> There are specific bug fixes and changes in the NetBSD version of gcc2.4.5

There is indeed no *problem*. It is indeed possible to maintain NetBSD with
the distributed compiler.

What I do regret is that (for some unknown reason) the 'specific bug
fixes and changes' apparently have never made it into the gcc evolution
(or have they?). If they would then we could at least try to be in sync
with gcc (and report its bugs).

> That said, of course at some point we will upgrade the compiler in NetBSD.
> There is no reason for the distributed gcc in NetBSD to track the latest
> and possibly buggy versions of GNU's gcc.

> Some of the newer ports need a newer version of gcc, so it will be upgraded
> at some point.  However once that happens you can again expect us to not
> continue to upgrade with GNU releases until need merits.

> BTW if I sounded harsh in my message about gcc it is due to the fact
> that this thing needs rehashing at least once a month.  It should
> probably be in the FAQ.

come on Chris: you have the right to speak the truth, you are one of
our NetBSD heroes!

 Greetings,

-- marc.                  \|||/
                          (o o)
+----------------------ooO-(.)-Ooo----------------------------------------+
|                                       |  Cisco Systems Belgium NV/SA    |
|         |          |                  |  Complex Antares                |
|        |||        |||                 |  71, Avenue des Pleiades        |
|       |||||      |||||                |  B-1200 Brussels                |
|                                       |  BELGIUM EUROPE                 |
|      Brussels MIS Team                | alias:  brussels-mis@cisco.com  |
|       Marc Duponcheel                 | v-mail:    +32 2 778 42 40      |
|         MIS analyst                   | e-mail: mduponch@cisco.com      |