Subject: Re: NetBSD inconsistencies and odditites
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 08/21/1994 19:17:26
In article <199408210223.WAA03561@bb.com> "L. Todd Masco" <cactus@bibliob.slip.netcom.com> writes:

> - MAP_FILE is referenced in the man page for mmap(2), but is not defined
>  anywhere (certainly not in the headers referred to by the man page).
>  The man page says an EINVAL will be delivered if this parameter
>  is not set, but luckily that doesn't seem to be the case.  The man
>  page for mmap is the only place I've ever seen this parameter
>  specified.

It was removed (except from the man page) and made the default if no
other value is specified, but has since been added back for backwards
compatibility (#defined to 0). It was added back some time ago, so it
sounds like you're running an old system.

> - F_SETLK, etc, (the record-locking features of fcntl(2)) appear in
>  the header <fcntl.h> but not in the man page.  Is record-locking
>  supported or not?   According to Stevens[1], everything after the initial
>  release of BSD4.3  (Reno and later) is supposed to support this.

If you check the source, it's implemented. It's just not documented in
the man page.

--
Ty Sarna                   "You can lead a gift horse to water but
tsarna@endicor.com          you can't make him look you in the mouth"