Subject: Floppy driver (was: Re: This week's NetBSD/amiga changes)
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 04/11/1994 03:58:50
In article <9404110211.AA20743@sun> pepersb@cuug.ab.ca (Brad Pepers) writes:
> I myself would vote against saying all amigas have an internal drive. There
> should be absolutely no reason to make such an assumption. The reason for
> it is the code to get the floppy type isn't working right. I think its a
> problem with gcc over optimizing the code. I have sent new assembly code
> to Chris to try out. I hope when this is working the assumptions can be
> removed.

I would like to see support for the 1020 5.25" floppy drive -- it's very
handy for interchange of MS-DOS floppies with old 5.25" only systems
(yes, I know it doesn't do MS-DOS format yet, but someday...).  I assume
that since the floppy driver doesn't support or care about diskchange
(right?) that the only change neccesary would be to add a line to the ID
table with the proper information.

Hmmm... looking through the Hardware RKM, I can't ind an ID defined for
the 5.25" drives, unless it's one of the Reserved values. I guess when I
update to the current sources I'll have to see what it ID's as, if
anything. If it doesn't ID itself, there will have to be some way for a
user program to tell the driver that a drive is present and tell it the
various parameters.

--
Ty Sarna                 "As you know, Joel, children have always looked
tsarna@endicor.com        up to cowboys as role models. And vice versa."