Subject: Re: Binary releases and 64 bit off_ty
To: None <danny@astro.rug.nl>
From: None <rhealey@aggregate.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 04/06/1994 10:16:58
> William J. Coldwell wrote:
> > resolved.  Does this sound unreasonable?  I want to see the proliferation of
> > NetBSD-Amiga, and I don't see this happening until we can at least give the
> > illusion that we're not at each other's throats over "religious" issues.
>
> [ VISIONARY MODE ON ]
> Maybe I'm wrong, but my opinion is that NetBSD-Amiga is kept alive (and
> has come to life) mainly by those people that were interested in porting
> Mach and eventually The Hurd.
> Just as any work on AmigaMach has stopped in favour of NetBSD, I think (not
> fear |{) that everybody that is working will be satisfied with a NetBSD
> that is stable enough to port (or develop for) Mach & The Hurd.
> Religious issues or not, as work on The Hurd is progressing more and more
> rapidly NetBSD-Amiga may become nothing more than a tool faster than
> anyone can imagine at this moment.
> [ VISIONARY MODE OFF ]

	Enter soapbox mode:

	Why would anyone want to use a system from FSF? They have a long track
	record of only going 90% or so of the way and the rest is left as
	an excercise to the end user... They also would put a much more
	restricted license on the use of the software. i.e. I don't want
	any work I'm doing to be restricted in any way.

	Mach and The Hurd are probably dead ends anyways. FSF has been talking
	about the Hurd, or it's predicessors, for almost a decade now and
	so far that's all it's been; talk. At least NetBSD is here now and
	is going to be reasonably close to the industry standard API's. Best
	of all I can use the code any way I choose with no restrictions.

	NetBSD will be more of a viable OS than Hurd will ever be. Already many
	small companys are thinking of ports to it. I have yet to hear any
	indications The Hurd will have any sort of commercial support.

	End soapbox mode:

		-Rob

#include<std/disclaimers.h>
Speaking for myself only of course.