Re: noto-emoji-ttf not working correctly

> I tried twemoji-color-font-ttf as well. I get black'n'white emojis
> with that font, but nothing in color, despite the name.

X protocol font support proper is only 1bpp.  I'd have to look at a
protocol trace to be sure, but in order to get colour either the client
is loading the font client-side and rendering it as a graphic rather
than as a character or there is some extension in use.  Emoji are
outside the BMP and thus beyond what X protocol font support can
naïvely address anyway, but that just leads to the same two
conclusions: either the client is doing something special-cased or
there's an extension in use.

Maybe run the clients under xscope?  A protocol trace might provide
some hints, especially if it's using a protocol extension rather than
client-side rendering.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign