Backporting?

How difficult is it to backport xsrc?

I imagine it's too much to expect that I can simply drop xsrc from -9
into -8, for example, and have it work.  But I'd like something of the
sort.

At work, we're using 8.0, and we have a machine that, while it works
under 8.0, has issues.  It's got three video outputs, but 8.0's X
server's RandR insists that it has only one output, called `default',
and it is inconsistent in how it drives the outputs, including some
behaviour I do not understand.  The hardware can do better; I have a
USB drive image of something called NomadBSD, which appears to be a
bunch of user-level stuff atop a FreeBSD kernel, which handles the
outputs better.  (It's got other major issues.  The X stuff in NomadBSD
is largely missing (no xdpyinfo and no xterm, for example), and, while
xrandr exists, I've yet to convince it to connect to the X server.)

So, if anyone has any thoughts on it, how hard would it be to take 8.0
and replace the X server with something newer (either from 9.x,
current, or even straight from X.org)?

Moving to 9.x might be an option, but it would involve a nontrivial
amount of work (small, large, I don't know, but probably not just
drop-in simple), because we've got some kernel hackery in there.
Rolling that forward might be the least-pain way, but I want to at
least investigate the possibility of switching X servers but otherwise
sticking with 8.0.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign