Re: Problems getting X to run properly on 9.0/amd64

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 03:09:31AM +0200, Michael Siegel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use X on my laptop, running NetBSD 9.0/amd64, but it's
> not really working, meaning:
>
>   * The X server will start, but needs nearly 1 minute to finish
>     starting up and giving me a graphical environment.

Could be waiting to unlock files, startx is iffy about that.
What happens when you press ctrl+c?

>   * When the X environment is up, I'm unable to use the computer's
>     touchpad. A USB mouse will work to bring up my window manager's
>     menu, though. (I'm using Openbox.)

There is a bug causing mouse lockups with Synaptics devices, it's fixed
in 9_STABLE and will be in 9.1. You should try a 9_STABLE kernel.

dmesg would confirm it's a Synaptics device, the driver is called pms(4)

It looks like there are existing problem reports for
"pckbport: command timeout", some containing information
about workarounds.