latency in SDL2 audio

I'm experiencing a palpable latency in starting sounds with SDL2. Because these sounds are game sound effects, the impact is rather jarring. After some discussion in #netbsd on Freenode, it was suggested that I use AUDIO_PLAY_ALL instead of AUDIO_PLAY to do this. It was also told to me that NetBSD 9 uses AUDIO_PLAY_ALL as default. But my testing has been with version 8 and so I got the delay. Digging further, I discover that AUDIO_PLAY_ALL is a flag passed to some ioctl. Unfortunately, I can't discover via Google how to use this flag. All I'm getting are hits on CHANGES.prev describing this new flag for NetBSD 2.0.3, but nothing more useful than that.

--
David Griffith
dave%661.org@localhost