Re: libGL major number 3 -> 1?

> Part of the OPENGL ABI FOR LINUX hard-codes major numbers.
[of .so libraries]

> This is batshit crazy,

Agreed.

> but often a hard-coded reality.

That's Linux for you.  The more I see of Linux (typically at work, but
here too), the gladder I am I use it only when I am being paid to.

> [...]
> Thoughts on undoing this, and going back to the 'recommended' major
> numbers?

My thoughts?

I think NetBSD should ignore it for its own purposes; NetBSD isn't
Linux, so I see no reason why it should care what a for-Linux ABI does.
The Linux compatability directory can have a .so.1 symlink for the sake
of compatability if it seems worth it, with big warnings all over it
that it's a catastrophically broken ABI and here's why, but if you want
it anyway, here's what you do.

Of course, that's just one iconoclast's opinion, one iconoclast who is
readier than most to call an insane spec insane and ignore it.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign