Re: Looking for graphics card for 4k on NetBSD

On Fri, May 03, 2019 at 12:13:23PM +1000, Matthew Green wrote:
> i haven't gotten 4K working with netbsd radeon yet, but i haven't really
> tried -- the one setup i have doesn't support it.
>
> it works fine with intel graphics (not useful, they don't make modern
> cards as PCIe afaik), and i assume relatively modern nvidia works.
>
> the netbsd amdgpu driver does not work yet, so don't use the amdgpu
> list as anything useful.  you can get a lot of the support with the
> radeon driver as well, but it doesn't have much accel on modern
> cards.
>
> if you can get a slightly older radeon card that is properly supported
> by the radeon driver that may be best, though the nvidia support for
> a lot of decent cards seems good in -current.  eg, the GTX 960 works
> pretty sweet in my testing.  the GTX 1xxx series isn't supported yet.

Thanks for the reply.

If I aim for 4K@120Hz, I think I should use a Displayport 1.4 card with 8GB.
(is that correct or is less sufficient?)

E.g. a Radeon RX580 8GB would do, or a GeForce GTX 1070.

Even if they are not accelerated, could I use either of them as
desktop, or is acceleration needed for that already?

Older Radeon cards and Geforce 960 only have Displayport 1.2(a) and
<=4GB AFAICT.
 Thomas