Re: Xorg vs Wayland (and MIR?) - future for NetBSD X ?

Hello,

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 07:26:26 +0000
coypu%SDF.ORG@localhost wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 02:49:54AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> > Except they apparently don't have it right yet, because the drmkms2
> > Xorg binary is still setuid root.
> >

> NetBSD is just about the only OS still using xorg as setuid root.
> Pretty much everyone else did away with it.

We only really need it for /dev/pci*, because that lets you mmap()
arbitrary PCI space - things like wsfb or sbus graphics work without it.

We could easily do away with it by going back to using ttyE*, ttyF*
etc. - that would only allow using graphics hardware with kernel drivers
though. I did that back in the xf86 days, that way every graphics
device shows up as its own PCI domain, device 0:0:0, complete with its
own IO space, which can be quite confusing since it doesn't correspond
to the actual bus layout at all.

have fun
Michael