re: XFree86 on Digital PWS600au

Mouse writes:
> > I installed NetBSD by creating a cdrom.  It was a complete
> > installation, so including X.  But the version of X looks weird to
> > me: the binary is "XdecNetBSD" instead of XFree86 or Xorg, it doesn't
> > have a config file, and there doesn't seem to be graphics drivers
> > installed at all.
>
> This sounds a whole lot like MIT X, before the current Xorg/Xfree/etc
> fork.  How that would have got into a NetBSD install CD, I don't know,
> unless it's a really old NetBSD version, but all the symptoms described
> match.

that comes from XFree86 4.4, which was distributed with prior netbsd
releases and was used in netbsd-7 for some platforms.  (but it has
since been removed.)

XdecNetBSD is the "turbo channel" X server.  similar to the old Xsun,
or the newly refurbed Xx68k.  an "old style" X server with builtin
drivers and not using the "XFree86" X server infrastructure (which
is simply Xorg in modern days.)

.mrg.