re: Alternative X11 drivers

rjs%fdy2.co.uk@localhost writes:
> We have two versions of radeon driver in the tree, which one gets built is
> selected by a make variable.
>
> I have been working on getting an older intel driver working too, I have been
> building it as well as the existing one.
>
> I think I prefer to have both built and rename the driver files so that X11
> finds the one I want but it is probably best to follow the same pattern for
> radeon and intel.
>
> What do people think ?

ideally, building all and having it easily selectable would be nice,
and i think this would be best done by having them selected via he
symlink.  eg, radeon_drv.so -> so.[67], depending on what you want.

however, doing this was a kind of pain in the build system, and it
also needed some tool for selecting.

i pretty much abandoned trying to give them different names, as that
requires patching the server itself to know which to choose and when,
and the internal names seemed somewhat non-trivial to change.

ie, i agree that what we have for radeon isn't optimimal, but there
are reasons for it being this way.

if you can solve all these issues without too many major changes,
i'd much rather have them all handily built.

thanks.

.mrg.