Re: Move Beyond TWM project proposal

Thank you for the responses.  I will let you know if I make it far enough to be of use to the community.

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 3:59 AM, matthew green <mrg%eterna.com.au@localhost> wrote:

321eniluap writes:
> I have been struggling with an attempt at changing the default Window
> Manager in the cross-build setup.  The Window Manager I am trying to add
> both have configure scripts, which seem to be the problem, but I could be
> wrong.  I have also tried pre-running the configure script to no avail.  I
> have tried both Golem and Fluxbox.  In would prefer to work with Golem, as
> I think it is a better fit than some others I have looked at.  Progress so
> far:  I have it integrated into my source tree well enough that it looks
> for files that should be built by the Window Manager but it does not find
> them.

thanks for looking into this!

when we integrate a 3rd party package into the tree we typically
create reach-over makefiles that mirror what the packages' own
Makefile etc does.  for many packages, configure does not actually
need to be run -- no config.h or other files are created.  but often
they are needed, and in that case we typically commit the generated
files to the repository.

if you look at say, xsrc/external/mit/xman/... you'll find a package
that needs configure run for config.h.  you'll notice the original
sources in the "dist" subdirectory.  the Makefiles to actually build
are in the main "src" module, as src/external/mit/xorg/bin/xman/.
they find the sources in xsrc via the X11SRCDIR.xman variable as set
in src/share/mk/bsd.own.mk directory (look for just "xman".)

let mw know if you need more info.

.mrg.