xdm with chooser, anyone?

I've configured xdm on two machines, let's call them A and B,
to answer to a manually started chooser on A:

When I select one of the hosts, a 0 and a another line with a decimal
representation of the address is printed on std.out.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to use that in practice, because xdm with an
Xservers file containing ":0 local ../X -retro -indirect
vt05" start a greeter window as well as the chooser. One on top of the other.
or vice versa.

What's wrong here?