Re: Moving expat and a few other libraries to the base system

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 04:30:40AM +1000, matthew green wrote:

>    > Joerg also mentioned that two more libraries could move too:
>    >  freetype
>    >  fontconfig
>
>    These are much, much larger and are really X11 (or at least GUI-)
>    specific.  I don't think it's a good idea.
>
> fonts are also useful for printing, which isn't GUI specific.

Not with any printing software we actually have in the base system.
Or is the intent to use these to output vgrind fonts?

As I said, I don't object to expat, for the time being, though 200K
is a *lot* for an embedded system -- and removing standard libraries
shipped with the system can often break stuff in unexpected ways, so
I and I suspect many others building embedded NetBSD tend to ship,
at least, all the libraries NetBSD ships.

But libraries for handling vector fonts, and very large libraries, at
that?  Please, no.

Thor