xmodmap dead keys only working in some applications

Hello,

I admit I've not used my fr-ca xmodmap keymap since white a while, but
I tried using it lately on a recent netbsd-5 and although the dead keys
work fine in firefox and claws-mail, they fail to work in xterm or
urxvt.  I'm pretty sure this used to work fine on netbsd-4; I have no
idea if it ever worked with xorg.

Anyone have a clue on how I could make it work again in all X11
applications?

(Note: dead keys allow first pressing an accent character for instance
to then press a vowel and have the accent be applied to that vowel.  So
for instance, pressing a key set to dead ` should allow me to type it
followed by a, resulting in Ã).

Thanks,
--
Matt