Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/x11/xf86-video-intel

Tobias Nygren wrote:
> Are these temporary compatibility issues that upstream will resolve, or
> do we need to consider implementing the kernel mode switching stuff on
> NetBSD in the future? I at least have a perfectly working 2D display
> with the 2.8.0 package, so it wasn't completely useless. ;-)

No, upstream doesn't solve anything. Upstream just dropped all we need to
get DRI working on BSD platforms - XAA, EXA and DRI1 and switched to
newer (Intel specific) UXA and DRI2. UXA itself doesn't need any support
from kernel to work, but is slower and isn't reallysupported by upstream
AFAIK.

(FYI, I don't get perfectly usable 2D display with my 965GM on DragonFly,
too many artefacts to be usable at all ;).

As far as I understand it, you need to implement at least GEM in the
kernel to make DRI2 working. KMS isn't must be for now, but upstream will
drop user mode switching as well soon.

http://keithp.com/blogs/Sharpening_the_Intel_Driver_Focus/

AFAIK both OpenBSD (owain@) and FreeBSD (rnoland@) are working on getting
GEM into their drm drivers. But nothing is public yet.

Btw, I'm not against getting 2.8.0 into pkgsrc, it _might_ be already
better than 2.7.1 for some users (with newer hardware) even on BSDs. But
we certainly must preserve 2.7.1 as well.

--
Hasso Tepper