Re: Updated drm code

Thanks for doing this -- I've given it a try and it works for
me so far (i386-current, i945).
Unfortunately it doesn't fix the stability problems with
modular-xorg-server-1.6.1.901 and MesaLib-7.4.2 for me.
The server crashes occasionally; it seems that this is
triggered by 3d workload. If I start xscreensaver-demo and
switch through the screensavers for a while I can usually
kill the X server within a couple of minutes. 1.4 was
rock-solid.
So the kernel part does basically work. As good as the old
version for me, but not worse either.
Wrt the negative offsets in mmap(): Imho it is technically
OK to allow negative offsets for device mappings. There
is a check in sys_mmap which disallows negative offsets
for everything but VCHR -- this means someone has already
thought about this... But this passes some more responsibility
to the device driver's mmap() methods, so these need to
be reviewed (especially the /dev/mem machine dependant ones).

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt