qgis triggers X11 errors

I am working on a package (qgis; http://www.qgis.org/) and am
encountering runtime errors related to X11 on the native X11 with
netbsd 5.0 but not on the modular Xorg with netbsd 4.0.  On the latter
platform, which has the following packages installed,

     modular-xorg-apps-1.5 Modular Xorg application meta-package
     modular-xorg-server-1.4.2nb3 Modular X11 server from modular X.org
     modular-xorg-fonts-1.0 Modular Xorg font meta-package
     modular-xorg-drivers-1.3 Modular Xorg driver meta-package
     modular-xorg-libs-1.0nb1 Modular Xorg library meta-package

qgis runs fine with no console errors.  On the former I immediately
get the following errors.  Unless I quit immediately, it will also
hang the system.

     Warning: X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
       Major opcode: 55 (X_CreateGC)
       Resource id:  0x0
     Warning: X Error: BadGC (invalid GC parameter) 13
       Major opcode: 56 (X_ChangeGC)
       Resource id:  0x1e001d3
     Warning: X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
       Major opcode: 70 (X_PolyFillRectangle)
       Resource id:  0x0
     Warning: X Error: BadGC (invalid GC parameter) 13
       Major opcode: 60 (X_FreeGC)
       Resource id:  0x1e001d3
     Warning: X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
       Major opcode: 55 (X_CreateGC)
       Resource id:  0x0
     Warning: X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
       Major opcode: 55 (X_CreateGC)
       Resource id:  0x0
     Warning: X Error: BadGC (invalid GC parameter) 13
       Major opcode: 60 (X_FreeGC)
       Resource id:  0x1e001d5
     Warning: X Error: BadGC (invalid GC parameter) 13
       Major opcode: 60 (X_FreeGC)
       Resource id:  0x1e001d4
     Warning: X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
       Major opcode: 55 (X_CreateGC)
       Resource id:  0x0
     Warning: X Error: BadGC (invalid GC parameter) 13
       Major opcode: 56 (X_ChangeGC)
       Resource id:  0x1e00768
     Warning: X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
       Major opcode: 70 (X_PolyFillRectangle)
       Resource id:  0x0
     Warning: X Error: BadGC (invalid GC parameter) 13
       Major opcode: 60 (X_FreeGC)
       Resource id:  0x1e00768
     Warning: X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
       Major opcode: 55 (X_CreateGC)
       Resource id:  0x0
     Warning: X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
       Major opcode: 55 (X_CreateGC)
       Resource id:  0x0
     Warning: X Error: BadGC (invalid GC parameter) 13
       Major opcode: 60 (X_FreeGC)
       Resource id:  0x1e0076a
     Warning: X Error: BadGC (invalid GC parameter) 13
       Major opcode: 60 (X_FreeGC)
       Resource id:  0x1e00769

I am not enough of an X11 wizard to even know where to begin sorting
this out.  I am glad to run tests that might help, including upgrading
the system to a more recent 5.0 release candidate (it is a month or
two old now).  Please suggest guidance that could help.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer.

Cheers,
Brook