Re: Problem when compiling with -j4 on Solaris (only!)

On Dec 11, 2008, at 7:31 AM, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
        --- dependall-libXi ---
/usr/homes/feyrer/cvs/src-5/obj.i386/tooldir/bin/i386--netbsdelf- ranlib libXi_pic.a ===> nbmake: nbmake: don't know how to make /usr/homes/feyrer/cvs/ src-5/obj.i386/usr/homes/feyrer/cvs/src-5/external/mit/xorg/lib/ libXext/libXext.so.
        Stop
        *** [dependall] Error code 2

After some more digging a bit more data:
* I've seen the same error on two different builds now, it's always
  libXext.so missing when buildling libXi
* looking in the libXext obj directory when the build fails, there
  is indeed no shared libXext in there (no .so, .so.6, .so.6.4),
  only the static version (.a and _p.a).

As far as I understand src/external/mit/xorg/Makefile, it calls do- lib,
and that target is made by the following code:

.for dir in tools lib/libXdmcp lib/libXau lib/libX11 lib/libICE lib/libSM \ lib/libXext lib/libXpm lib/libXt lib/libXrender lib/ libXfixes \ lib/libXdamage lib/libdrm lib/libXxf86vm lib/libGL lib/libXmu \ lib/expat lib/freetype lib/fontconfig lib/libXp lib/ libXrandr \
                        lib
        do-${dir:S/\//-/g}:
        .  for targ in dependall install
                ${MAKEDIRTARGET} ${dir} ${targ}
        .  endfor
        .endfor

This will indeed give a do-tool, do-lib and also do-lib-libXext etc.,
but I don't see anything that makes sore that do-lib-libXext is
is actually required before running do-lib.

Or is there anything obvious that I'm missing here?[1]

- Hubert

[1] Other the fact that this only seems to happen on Solaris, FWIW...

I see this on MacOS X 10.5.5 as well ( when crossbuilding for sparc )

have fun
Michael