Re: NV dual monitor setup ...crashing.. no more.

Fine, after some fiddling and the kindly help of Marcin I now have a working
dual head setup. The "trick" is to not try and configure the nv driver from
within xorg.conf, but instead do it during the runtime and after
initialization of screens with xrandr. So while a setup like, screen 0 on
Card 0, screen 1 on Card 1 will crash your server; a setup like, screen 0
and screen 1 on Card 0 will bluntly ignore anything you say about VirtualSize,
LeftOf, RightOf, OhMyGodOoof and just clone one monitor worth of pixels on
both monitors (but not crash, hey!), the following works like a charm: Connect
both monitors to same card (will crash if not), then during before the window
manager starts (fvwm doesn't like the screensize to change afterwards),
xrandr --output DVI1 --leftof DVI0 --mode 1680x1050
xrandr --output DVI0 --rightof DVI1 --mode 1680x1050
will do the trick, giving me a 3360x1050 display spread over both monitors.
I couldn't see how I'd start two displays here, which is what I initially
wanted, but ok. Surprisingly the above commands work like they do, due to
the manpage it shouldn't (leftof rightof is exactly the example they say
will not work, oh well) but who cares about manpages being correct anyways.

To me what's interesting is: Both the command and the LeftOf directive in
the xorg.conf should use the RandR1.2 interface to setup the screens. One
(the xorg.conf way) either does have no effect (both monitors on same card)
or crashes (one monitor per card). The other way (xrandr(1)) at least "works"
for the 2 monitors, one card setup. Now this might be a hint of what might
be wrong in the nv driver, only its maintainer doesn't seem to care (sent
him a 2nd report on how I got it working etc) but that's ok. I get ignored a
lot lately. At least the thread here (me talking to myself answering to.. uh..
myself) now ends with a 'RESOLVED' message.

Regards,
-Martin