Re: Fixing /etc for native X.Org

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> The attached patch does the following:
>
>   1. Move rc.d/{xdm,xfs} to xetc.tgz
>   2. Let the build descend into etc/rc.d for obj and dependall
>   3. Introduce FILESBUILD_<file> as discussed on tech-userlevel
>   4. Use it to build the xdm and xfs rc.d scripts
>   5. Sprinkle /usr/X11R7 into all the relevant profile/cshrc/whatever,
>      giving it priority over /usr/X11R6.
>   6. Change postinstall(8) so that it is generated at build time to
>      get the value of X11ROOTDIR hard-coded.
>   7. Change postinstall(8) so that it is able to generate xdm and xfs
>      when run with a source directory as input.

This looks reasonable, but I haven't reviewed it in detail.

For point 7, instead of hardcoding rules for building a few files, I
suggest having postinstall run "make" in the src/etc directory, in much
the same way as etcupdate does.

> The wacky way I do 6 is only so that the source file is not renamed, so
> that CVS history is not lost.  I'm fine with renaming it postinstall.in
> and doing the transformation in a more traditional way.

I'd prefer postinstall.in, although saying "ni" to a defenceless old file
does have its attractions.

--apb (Alan Barrett)