Re: CVS commit: src/etc/mtree

Takahiro Kambe <taca%back-street.net@localhost> writes:
> In message <20080729160849.GL2960%taryn.cubidou.net@localhost>
>       on Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:08:49 +0200,
>       Quentin Garnier <cube%cubidou.net@localhost> wrote:
> Such a radical change may affect something wrong to pkgsrc.
> (No well-grounded but my feeling.)

That should not be the case -- pkgsrc already has to deal with
multiple OSes, some of which put things in quite different places.

>> I think I saw X11R7 before (some SuSE?  Fedora seems to have everything
>> in /usr/{bin,lib}), but always coming along with a /usr/X11 symlink.  So
>> /usr/X11 it may be.
>>
>> My main point is:  X11R6 is wrong.
>
> I agree.

So I guess consensus is against X11R6, and I yield on that -- I didn't
feel too strongly to begin with.

Right now, I'd say I lean towards "put in /usr/{bin,sbin,lib} etc,
with symlink(s) from X11R6 to the new locations for one release". I
don't know how others feel about that.

Here is my reasoning:

1) I'd like to keep a symlink for one release or so to prevent paths
and scripts from breaking.

2) /usr/X11 (or whatever) itself seems like an onion -- it comes from
the days when X was shipped separately from the OS and, lacking package
management, the X consortium people felt it was better to put
everything in one place for easy replacement etc. -- we don't need it
any more, and simpler is better.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                perry%piermont.com@localhost