Re: CVS commit: src/etc/mtree

Quentin Garnier <cube%cubidou.net@localhost> writes:
>> > XXX: should native Xorg use /usr/X11R6?  input required.
>>
>> It involves the least disruption for administrators and others used to
>> the installs from previous versions of NetBSD. I'd say it is the right
>> thing.
>
> Why?  An awful lot of libs saw their major bumped, so it doesn't really
> matter much.

Consider things like user paths, paths in system scripts, etc. If you
update the dir name, suddenly lots of things will break, including
people's xinit scripts.

This isn't going to be the end of the world if it changes, of course,
but it will likely cause some mysterious failures for many people.

> Installing in /usr/X11R7 where it belongs would mean least
> disruption I think (i.e., you could keep the /usr/X11R6 tree until
> you have your packages fully updated).

Another possibility would be to switch to /usr/X11 and then it would
never need to get updated again.

Perry