gdm and kdm problems.

If there is already a soltuion to my problem, please point me in the right
direction.
I've tried to enable xdm through both the rc.conf and ttys files; the result
has been a login that freezes with a block, widgits dialogue on the block, and
a terminal at the bottom right corner.
FreeBSD has a usr/local but that doesn't exist on my NetBSD installation.
Problems: xdm won't work properly and gdm- along with gnome-session- doesn't
configure.
I have an instance of NetBSD-4.3 i386 installed on my machine.
The other season of giving begins 6/24/08. Check out the i’m Talkathon.
http://www.imtalkathon.com?source=TXT_EML_WLH_SeasonOfGiving