Subject: ATI TV-OUT support ?
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 11/25/2007 17:29:18
Hello,

I've tried to configure TV-Out on an old laptop I have.
It runs NetBSD 4.0_RC4 and ships with an "ATI Technologies Radeon Mobility
M6 LY (rev 0x00).

I've tried using the native XFree86 and Xorg (xserver-1.2 and xserver-1.3)
but I just can't get tvout to work.

atitvout works, a detect says:
CRT is attached.
TV is attached via Composite

I've tried various parameters and Modes (according to stuff I found via
Google) but it seems the GATOS extension never works. The only case when I
can have TV out is, from the console, running "atitvout -f t", then start
XFree86 with the vesa driver, in 800x600. But the quality is far from what
it is on the Windows instance.

The laptop has a dual-boot WindowsXP/NetBSD, and it works OK on Windows,
so I guess my cables are OK.

Has anyone succeeded in using TV-out with an ATI driver ?
If so, which software is recommended (NetBSD version and XFree/Xorg) ?
And what are the magical X.conf parameters ?

Thanks for your help,
     Jo