Subject: Re: Thinkpad Z61P (ATI FireGL V5200 via PCI Express)?
To: Frank Kardel <kardel@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@pp2.inet.fi>
List: tech-x11
Date: 10/04/2007 14:06:36
On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Frank Kardel wrote:

> Does X11 (xorg) work on this system - has anyone see it live?
> I ask, because I see V5200 being supported by X, but also found
> a report for a crash on a T61p b/c of PCIe/AGP confusion.

The crash has nothing to do with PCIe/AGP. See port-amd64/37043.

I got X working on T61p, but only with vesa driver; nv starts up
with a black screen and X taking 100% of cpu. But it could just
be that the experimental G80 support in nv driver doesn't work
correctly for me, and nothing to do with the system HW support.

If Z61p has has the same graphics bridge (Intel product 2a01),
you'll be out of luck with agp. I'm not even sure if a driver
that looks like agp to userland can be written for the 965PM
gfx bridge, though -- nor am I sure if it is even needed.

My cursory reading of the docs seem to indicate that the bridge
already provides a physical range of addresses, and writes to
those go directly to the gfx adapter, so all X would have to do is
map those addresses for itself. But I'm really new to this all,
so I may be way off.