Subject: Re: "fusion" of direct and indirect rendering imminent!
To: Blair Sadewitz <>
From: Eric Anholt <>
List: tech-x11
Date: 09/11/2007 14:30:58

On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 01:30 -0400, Blair Sadewitz wrote:
> Check this out!
> This is the solution to the GLX direct/indirect rendering conundrum
> [which has annoyed me for years].  Dave Airlie et. al. have (alpha
> quality for now, but it does work) a zero-copy offscreen pixmap
> implementation:  Thus, DRI can render offscreen into EXA-allocated,
> TTM-managed buffers.
> In's git, AFAIK, there is relatively mature FreeBSD
> code (by Eric Anholt) which could be merged into our tree to support
> this.

There is no TTM support for any BSD currently, and it's a significant
amount of code to write.  The current linux implementation requires a
lot of hairy VM stuff that I'm sure no BSD has currently (linux didn't
even have it until TTM).  I think I've figured out a way to avoid most
of the VM work, but the performance implications are unclear.

Eric Anholt

Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (FreeBSD)